Why can't it be something fun like swapping surnames and then creating a portmaneau or blended name for the kids.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Acute_Engles@hexbear.net 19 points 2 weeks ago

It costs money to legally change your name without a marriage certificate and making a fun portmanteau would cost a lot since you'd both have to pay.

That being said I know two couples who just go by the portmanteau but on legal documents use their birth last names

[-] ProfessorOwl_PhD@hexbear.net 18 points 2 weeks ago

It's ridiculous that you have to pay now to change your designator. Back in the late 40's my grandpa's name legally changed from "John" to "Jack" simply because he started writing his nickname on forms instead of his "real" name.

[-] EllenKelly@hexbear.net 8 points 2 weeks ago* (last edited 2 weeks ago)

For the most part you can do that now, you won't be able to change it on a bank card, or licence, etc, but i stopped using my birthname years ago for free

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments (1 replies)
this post was submitted on 27 May 2024
61 points (100.0% liked)


13281 readers
653 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago